I am in all-time “frugal” mode. Perhaps others have thought of this, but why do I keep purchasing items that I can do without? One of these items is vegetable spray. We’ve always had it in the house, even when I was a little girl. Now that I’m looking at every penny and cutting back on things I don’t need, I’ve learned new ways of doing without this little spray can in my home.
Here are a few ways I’ve learned to do without veggie spray:
- Save butter wrappers. I saved an empty butter package and keep empty butter wrappers in it. When I open a new butter, I fold the wrapper in half and stick it in the butter package to use later. When the time comes to “lightly spray” a dish to keep food from sticking (like in baking), I pull out one of the butter wrappers and using the buttery side, wipe the inside of the pan with it instead of using the spray. When there’s nothing left on the wrapper, I toss it in the trash.
- Go “paperless”. Instead of buying muffin cups and spraying these with veggie spray, I reach for my butter wrappers to coat the muffin tin. Therefore, I’m not only saving on the veggie spray but the paper muffin cups, too.
- Crisco, Crisco, Crisco. I used to spray our cast iron pans with veggie spray between heavy seasonings, but now I skip that step. Once the cast iron pan is washed, I place it on a burner, turn the heat to medium and let it dry. Once dry, I grab a paper towel or clean rag (used specifically for this purpose) and wipe on a little bit of Crisco. I let it stay hot for just a bit longer and then turn it off. I coats the pan nicely and saves me a little bit of time between regular seasoning sessions.
- Butter or natural oils (coconut, olive or grapeseed). I use these (in small amounts) in a pan to pan fry or cook eggs, meats, etc. These are natural products and do not contain any chemicals in them and actually lend a better taste to the foods I prepare.
- Purchase your own spray bottle! Fill it with olive oil or grapeseed oil. You’ll know what’s in it plus you’ll save money in the long run.
I’m still discovering ways to go without vegetable sprays. If you know of any others, please leave a comment! I’m sure it will help not only me but others, too!